The Simple Swing Golf Forum
The Simple Swing Golf Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 3. SimpleSwing Open Discussions
 1. Symple Swing Open Discussion (Full Swing)
 Level Elbows Drill
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Boris

202 Posts

Posted - March 30 2006 :  05:47:15 AM  Show Profile Send Boris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have developed a new drill that is really working for me. I have showed it to a few folks with great success. Hope it helps a few here. For the lack of a more creative term, I just call it the Level Elbows Drill.

I have a full length mirror on the back of my office door. At the top of my swing position, I have drawn a line where the bottoms of my elbows should be. They form the base of a a triangle with the club in the middle and the base of this triange is LEVEL . THe critical thing here is LEVEL. Now on the downswing, the shoulders whip, the elbows drop level, and they finish again LEVEL with the traingle intact while arms are folding . Look at the illustrations on pages 18 and 22 in the SS booklet. Notice in each case how the club bisects the triangle formed by the arms with the level elbows forming the base.

If you get to the top LEVEL and finish LEVEL, this is a pretty darn good sign that you have swung the club freely and not manipulated. Because if you push the shaft or manipulate it in any way, it will be very hard to have level elbows.

So the thoughts are good shoulder turn on the backswing , level elbows at the top. Whip the shoulders on the downswing, level elbows DROP, and on the follow through level elbows again. Do this a few times each day in front of a full length mirror and you will be amazed how easily you can take it to the course. And as a further drill, intentionally disrupt this ideal level relationship and see how it can damage your swing. You are driven off plane, and it takes a real rescue effort by some manipulation to salvage a decent shot.

I think what is so nice about this drill is it takes the focus off of the hands. The first move of the hands on the downswing has to be down, more than out, otherwise you can go OTT. But I have found little succcess driving my hands down or in fact doing anything with my hands. Handsy golf just doesn't work. Focusing on level elbows and a taking them down level while whipping the shoulders as we do with SS, puts the hands in the right positions. You automatically get into that coveted, elusive slot, where all good swings need to be.

Boris

dwv

12 Posts

Posted - April 10 2006 :  09:00:39 AM  Show Profile Send dwv a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Boris,
Thanks for the post. In the tapes I noticed that Mike's elbows are level as you noted in your mirror drill. My right (trail) elbow is a few inches lower than my left when I tried your drill. This may be because I keep my trail elbow close to my side during the backswing - the only way I could get them level is to have the trail elbow "fly" out away from my side. Any suggestions?
Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Boris

202 Posts

Posted - April 11 2006 :  12:48:26 AM  Show Profile Send Boris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dwv

Hi Boris,
Thanks for the post. In the tapes I noticed that Mike's elbows are level as you noted in your mirror drill. My right (trail) elbow is a few inches lower than my left when I tried your drill. This may be because I keep my trail elbow close to my side during the backswing - the only way I could get them level is to have the trail elbow "fly" out away from my side. Any suggestions?
Thanks!

IMHO, it is perfectly OK to let the trail elbow fly out a bit. This is preferable, than keeping your trail elbow "parked" to your side late in the backswing.

On the downswing, my thought is "elbows straight down". This prevents coming OTT and combined with your downswing pivot your trail elbow will automatically return close to your trail side.

Boris
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Simple Swing Golf Forum © Copyright 2009 Simple Golf LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2