The Simple Swing Golf Forum
The Simple Swing Golf Forum
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Post Your Videos For Comment Here
 Post Your Video For Comment Here:
 Driver from 7/6/2010
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jclenden

USA
323 Posts

Posted - July 06 2010 :  9:35:58 PM  Show Profile Send jclenden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here are 3 driver swings from my round today. Upon review they aren't very impressive, but the first and last went straight and far. BTW, the shaft on the driver is 47", so the lie angle is rather flat.

What strikes me about all 3 is:
- my head drops toward the ball a bit on the back swing, from which I lose my spine angle and never recover. I'm fighting it the whole way on the down swing. It's surprising I hit any of those solid!
- my left elbow flies out and my left wrist breaks awkwardly through impact, which means I'm probably losing some club head speed right around impact.

Driver 07/06/2010 #1
******************************You must be logged in to see this link.
- pretty much on plane, ball went where I aimed, flew straight, traveled about 280 yards with some roll.

Driver 07/06/2010 #2
- got too flat on takeaway, too much lateral movement to begin down swing, totally lost it left

Driver 07/06/2010 #3
- pretty much on plane, ball went where I aimed, flew straight, traveled about 270 yards w/o much roll.

I'll try to correct that head movement so I can retain my posture and see what happens. I'll also try to keep my left elbow in place as I follow through so that my wrist can rotate properly through impact and beyond. I'll see if I can't post another video next week for comparison.

Edited by - jclenden on July 06 2010 9:38:02 PM

simpleswing

1189 Posts

Posted - July 07 2010 :  3:01:39 PM  Show Profile Send simpleswing a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi jclenden,

First let me say you do have a very good swing with nice power although you have some faults that I'm sure are dramatically reducing your consistency.

I grabbed some stills from each swing and put them up on a page so we could discuss them.

You can see the stills here:
*url******************************************************simplegolf.com/blog/what-is-simple-golf/jclenden/*********************************************************

Hover over the image and you'll see the caption indicating what swing and what position it is. Click on the image to see a bigger versions.

Here are a few points to start the discussion.
1. Your shoulder and hips are quite open at address. (Your feet are pretty square) I didn't know your exact aim point but unless you were aiming at the trees your shoulders are definitely open.
Regarding my next comments see Swing Tracks Drill *url******************************************************simplegolf.com/blog/simple-short-game/swing-tracks-drill-insures-youre-on-plane-everytime/*********************************************************
2. When the shaft of the club is horizontal in the backswing it should be over your "hand line™" and PARALLEL TO THE EXTENDED TARGET LINE. You are definitely on your way INSIDE even at this point.
3. When your lead arm is horizontal IT SHOULD BE PARALLEL TO THE EXTENDED TARGET LINE. Your lead arm (front arm) is hugely inside!!!!!. In other words when your front arm is horizontal your front fist should be pointing backwards (away from the target). Your fist when your front arm is horizontal is almost pointing behind your back.

Now some pros bring the club back hugely inside like you do. If you dedicate 6 hours a day for the next decade then you can make that swing work for you too. If not, you absolutely have to simplify your backswing by getting it on-plane.

When you come that far inside on your backswing you have to quickly spin your whole body (hips included) to get anywhere near square on the downswing (which you do pretty well). The problem is all that movement takes world class coordination to get from way, way inside to back to square at impact. It can be done but mere mortals can't do it consistently.

If you want to improve your swing quickly just practice "dry swinging" (i.e., no ball). First practice your backswing to checkpoint #1 (club shaft horizontal (see "Shoulder Waggle" ******************************simplegolf.com/blog/full-swi*url*********************************************************************************ng/basics-full-swing/set-up-waggle-or-shoulder-waggle-before-every-swing/). Then practice dry swinging to checkpoint #2 (front arm horizontal). The make full practice swings noting where you are at checkpoint #1 and checkpoint #2.

Also you seem to be straightening your back leg at the top of your backswing and then bending it again on the downswing. With lots of practice you can make that work but it's much simple if you just keep the bend in the back leg until past impact.

Joe Davidson
Simple Golf
Go to Top of Page

jclenden

USA
323 Posts

Posted - July 07 2010 :  7:07:18 PM  Show Profile Send jclenden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Joe, thanks for the feedback. I rarely get a chance to video my swing, and I don't have any software to capture stills like that. This is helpful.

I see your point about being inside. I intentionally flattened my swing about 4-6 weeks ago because it seemed too steep. I guess it wasn't too steep after all, I just didn't have video evidence to review. I will revisit the plane of my take away.

Regarding the back knee, that was unintended. I'll try to be aware of it.

Even with the swing flaws noted on these videos I had perhaps 7 drives today that carried about 250 yards and then rolled. So at the moment I'm generating excellent club head speed with the driver (at least for me); I just need to work on that plane so that I'm more consistent with direction.

Thanks again for your feedback!
Go to Top of Page

jclenden

USA
323 Posts

Posted - July 08 2010 :  9:27:11 PM  Show Profile Send jclenden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Joe, may I say that you caught something in my swing that nobody ever caught before, and it seems to have made a world of difference. I was flabbergasted by the results.*:0************************

After viewing my swing video I could see that I had flattened my swing plane too much so it was no trouble to go back to a more upright swing. But that isn't what made the difference. I've been there and done that before. But you noticed that my shoulders were open at address. It's something I'd never considered. I was taught some time ago how to take my stance. Grip the club with left hand, take my posture, reach down with right hand and grip. But I never thought twice about what that may have done to my shoulders; it opened them.

Tonight I was very careful to keep my shoulders parallel to the target line as I reached under with my right hand. It felt so awkward, like I was way too far under the club and I had to struggle in my mind to figure out how to even swing the club from that starting position. My right hand felt like it was under the club. I'm sure everything was "normal", but it felt very awkward. But the first time I addressed the ball with a PW I hit a skyrocket. I thought I had a pretty high trajectory on my short irons, but little did I know what was possible! *:0************************ Tonight I hit my irons higher than ever in my life, and I had more pure shots than I can ever remember. Club by club I tried it and every one responded amazingly, even the long irons that always give me trouble were a piece of cake. The driver was rock solid, too. Although I couldn't tell very well at the range, it appeared to travel as far as it was the past week when I was carrying the ball about 250 yards before roll.

I'm just stunned at how that one thing made such an amazing difference in the quality and trajectory of my irons. It will be very interesting to see how this impacts my game on the course. Thanks for your feedback and your keen eye to catch that flaw.*:)************************

Jeff

Edited by - jclenden on July 08 2010 9:31:10 PM
Go to Top of Page

simpleswing

1189 Posts

Posted - July 09 2010 :  4:13:09 PM  Show Profile Send simpleswing a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi jclenden,

Very good on your progress. I'm glad I could help.

Alignment is very important. I sent a email tip out today about it.

A lot of guys do open their shoulders when they put their bottom hands on the shaft. Once in a while I do it myself but I usually catch it with a pre-swing check.

On your backswing I would like you to check that when your shaft is horizontal it's parallel to the extended target line. You can just do a shoulder waggle to check that. If you do that you will be amazed at your consistency and accuracy.

Thanks for posting your swings. I'm sure a bunch of people benefited from that.

Keep up the good work.

Joe Davidson
Simple Golf

Go to Top of Page

candygolfs

7 Posts

Posted - March 25 2014 :  02:44:52 AM  Show Profile Send candygolfs a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Brand new and unused junior golf set which would be ideal for a child starting to play. Marketed as suitable for ages 4 to 7, they are probably more ideal for ages ..

***********************************************You must be logged in to see this link.You must be logged in to see this link.
***********************************************You must be logged in to see this link. mp-68 irons*********************************************************
***********************************************You must be logged in to see this link. jpx825 irons*********************************************************
***********************************************You must be logged in to see this link. i20 irons*********************************************************

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Simple Swing Golf Forum © Copyright 2017 Simple Golf LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2